Monday, August 12, 2013

Mass No. 6 in E Flat by Schubert / A Thing of Beauty

This last Saturday I went to see Schubert's Mass No. 6 in E Flat in Grant Park. I loved it, and I thought I would share it with you.

Franz Schubert

Franz Schubert
by Wilhelm August Rieder
Born in 1797, Schubert grew up in Vienna where he studied and composed music all of his life, though not always full time as he often supported himself by teaching. He is generally considered one of the great Romantic composers, though he never received any real recognition until some time after his death. He wrote his Mass No. 6 in E Flat in 1828. (In 1828, Andrew Jackson was elected president, and Greece began its war for independence) For further information, see Franz Schubert.

Mass No. 6 in E Flat

Mass No. 6 in E-flat - Kyrie by Classical Masterpieces of the Millenium on Grooveshark

Review

This particular passage is called "Kyrie." It's the opening section, and the translated lyrics are repetitions of "Lord have mercy. Christ have mercy. Lord have mercy." I love the buildup throughout the section. It starts off very soft followed by soaring vocals backed up by subtle horns and rhythmic strings. I love the back and forth of the tempo before Schubert softly closes out the section, preparing for the next passage, "Gloria," which opens with real oomph. The rest of the translated lyrics for Mass No. 6 in E Flat are traditional and very good.

Reflection

I love this piece. To enjoy something like this, you have to give yourself to it. While I was at the concert, several people were talking behind me. Fortunately, my wife and I were able to move during a break to a place where we could sit and enjoy the music. Classical music is made to sustain concentration; in fact, it demands it. Feel free to sit and do nothing but listen to this piece, maybe a couple of times. If anything, it should be incredibly relaxing. And please, don't be the person who talks in the middle of a classical music concert.

Acknowledgments

Most of what I've used here is from the links I provided, my own observations, or Wikipedia. Please enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment